How to Download eBooks onto a Kindle
- You must register your Kindle before downloading.
- To register, press Menu, then select Settings, and choose “register.”
- Enter your Amazon.com user name and password (the same one associated with your Amazon account). Select “OK” to finish the registration.
Search and Download Kindle eBooks
- Go to Roxana Public Library’s website at www.roxanalibrary.org, and click on the OverDrive icon in the middle of the screen.
- Search the collection of eBooks. If there are no available copies of a title you wish to check out, you can click on “place a hold” to reserve it.
- If your title is available, click on “add to cart” directly across from Kindle Book. This will take you to My Cart where you select Proceed to Checkout.
- At the Sign In page, you must select your home library from the list of participating libraries. Enter your library card number and 4-digit PIN.
- At the Check Out page, choose a lending period of either 14 or 7 days. Then click Confirm checkout.
- At the Download page, select “Get for Kindle.” You will then be directed to Amazon.com.
- Sign in to your Amazon account if you are not already signed in, then click “Get library book” (the yellow button on the right-hand side).
- The book will be delivered to your Kindle. You may need to click on the Kindle “Sync” button (looks like a refresh button) for the book to appear, or just turn the device off and on.
- Note: An active WiFi connection is required for wireless delivery to a Kindle. Instead of WiFi connection, you may choose to load your book via USB. To transfer using your USB: Choose the Download option on the Amazon page where your book appears. A box will appear, where you will choose to Save the download. On your computer, go to Computer, then the Download file found under Favorites. Find your book title, and click and drag it to Kindle Documents.
To Return a Kindle eBook Early
Go to www.amazon.com and sign in to your Amazon account.
- From the Kindle Support menu on the right, select “Manage Your Kindle.”
- Next to the book title (“public library” will follow title) you want to return, select the Action dropdown menu, and choose “Return this book,” and then “Delete from library” after book is returned.
- To remove the book from your Kindle device, click the arrow to the left of the title just returned, and then click “remove from device.”