Library Code of Conduct
A short list of guidelines for using the library.
Code of Conduct
A library exists to provide a place to view materials, gather information, learn or sit and read. Libraries provide materials in many formats including electronic formats and these can be used in the library. Because so many people are doing many different types of activities it is necessary to maintain an environment that is conducive to these pursues. Though libraries are no longer “tombs of silence”, respect for each patron’s and staff’s ability to concentrate on their activities requires behavior that is not disruptive or interrupting.
In order to allow all patrons of the Roxana Public Library to use its facilities to the fullest extent during its regularly scheduled hours, the Library Board of Trustees has adopted the following guidelines:
1. Patrons shall be engaged in activities associated with the use of a public library while in the building. Disruptive patrons and those not engaged in reading, listening to music, studying, or using library materials may be required to leave the building in consideration of the rights of other patrons.
2. Patrons should turn off cell phone ringers upon entering the Roxana Public Library. For short, quiet phone calls, patrons may use cell phones only in designated areas of the Library (The entrance and at the circulation desk). Even in acceptable areas, cell phone conversations should be conducted in a low voice.
3. Appropriate use of cell phones, pagers, and similar electronic devices as well as any other noise, such as loud conversations, should be governed by common sense and courtesy to others using the Library.
4. Patrons shall not smoke or use tobacco or tobacco products in the Library.
5. Patrons shall not consume food in public areas of the Library building, except in the context of Library programs and special events.
6. Patrons shall not be under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
7. Patrons shall not engage in any illegal activity while in the Library building.
8. Patrons shall respect the rights of other patrons and shall not harass or annoy others through noisy or boisterous activities, by staring at another person with the intent to annoy that person, by following another person around the building with intent to annoy that person, by playing audio equipment so that others can hear it, by singing, by talking loudly to others or in monologues, or by behaving in a manner which reasonably can be expected to disturb other persons.
9. Patrons shall not interfere with the use of the Library by other patrons, or interfere with Library employees' performance of their duties.
10. Any materials removed from the Library must be checked out on a valid library card.
11. Patrons shall not deface or mar books, magazines, newspapers, recordings or other items of the Library collection nor shall they deface, mar, or in anyway destroy or damage library furnishings, walls, machines, or other library property.
12. Patrons shall not be permitted to enter the building without a shirt or other covering of their upper/lower bodies or without shoes or other footwear.
13. Patrons whose bodily hygiene is offensive so as to constitute a nuisance to other patrons shall be required to leave the building.
14. Each patron shall be responsible for any fines, fees or other charges due in accordance with the Library's standard policies. Failure to pay these fines will result in the suspension of borrowing privileges.
15. Patrons shall not bring pets or animals into the Library, other than those necessary for the physically disabled.
16. Patrons shall not use roller blades or skateboards anywhere inside the Library building.
17. Patrons shall not disrupt the work flow of staff by moving materials, moving materials from one shelf to another, or leaving large amounts of materials on the tables or floors.
18. Profanity or name calling in the library building in not permitted. Profanity or name calling may not be directed at other patrons or at staff.
19. Patrons shall not engage in fighting, running or playing, entering and leaving the building repeatedly or other acts not appropriate to a library.
Situations involving patrons not abiding by these or other policies or guidelines will be handled at the discretion of the Library Director in consultation with the Board of Trustees.
Approved by the Roxana Public Library District Board of Trustees; revised November 7, 2001; revised February 7, 2006